Friday, February 11, 2011

The Trial

You, me, we all do it.
We all play the slimy boss.
The cruel master to a poor slave.
We put things on a trial period.

So when a good thing comes along, we tell it
‘Listen am gonna let you happen, but you are on trial.
You goof up, then it’s done.
Your appointment will be terminated.
So go ahead and spread the joy,
but remember …
I am watching you.’

We then proceed to lie back and enjoy.
Time flies and the trial period is over.
The good thing comes up, apologetically ahems,
‘Was I good? Are you happy? Do you think you wanna keep me? Can I stay?’

That’s when we realize the power we have.
You almost laugh out loud in relief.
The good thing wants to stay?!
And here you were worried that it may want to leave?!
Now is the time to play smart.
The trick is in never letting the thing feel comfortable.
Never letting it settle or give it a place.
Oh never that! Never!

So we hem and haw.
‘Well no … you see … things were not satisfactory at all.
Pretty average!
Not special at all!
I should let you go, but what the heck! I will give you one last chance.
Now get lost.’

Mortified the good thing slinks away.
We know it’s going to try harder, the thing. It wants to stay.
What a joke!

The trial continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment