Friday, March 4, 2011

What's your name?

I don’t have a name to call you.
Just nonsense words I make up.
Am hoping one day soon
It’s a language you will want to take up.

The words are easy,
Their meaning not deep.
They describe the most mundane,
everyday things.
Like what happens
When you look at me,
Or when my name you call,
The funny way you cradle me
After every fall.
Your name is nice.
But the things I feel …
Well, it just does not sum them all.

I wonder why they called you that.
Did they think hard enough?
I want to ask your old man and woman
Couldn’t they have made something nicer up?

Like when I turn you into a sweet,
A funny bird-call …
Sometime an ice cream flavour
At other times ‘Takashimaya’, the mall.

Your name I feel should be
A thousand special things.
It should have
The throb of our heartbeats,
The sound of our laughter,
The warmth of our blanket,
The sunset turning softer.

I hope you are not upset
When I tell you …
That the name they gave
Is the one I will remember ...
When it's not love that coats my tongue,
only anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment