Friday, August 21, 2009

Ozi Kozi Tree

There is a tree outside my window.

Well, technically, he is on the other side of the road,
but he kindly leans over to us.

A huge old fellow.

His arms spread wide,
spanning the entire building and some more.

He made himself quite comfortable, very early,
When real estate on St. Leo road was very cheap I daresay.

Now this guy is a sociable fellow.

I fancy myself some sort of a bird watcher.

Thanks to a trip to Jim Corbett.

Where I did not see a single tiger.

But boy! Did I see birds!

And snow for the first time!

But I digress!

I was telling you about the tree.

So … it is a huge tree

With many squirrels leasing its boles and crevices.

Ever so often you can see the little nimble creatures dart here
and stop to make munching motions with their tiny paws near their face.

As if they are whispering to a smaller squirrel in their hands.
Or keeping a watch on you and speaking into a lapel mike about your movements
And the going-ons in your house.

And then there are the glorious birds that visit.
Eagles, hawks, parrots are de rigeur.
There are magical Kingfishers, fantails, koels.
It’s like having caviar every day.
Visual luxury.

Evenings are a riot of homecoming.
With birds fidgeting and struggling for their favourite positions.
Not unlike Bombay’s local train.
Some days you have to make do with the fourth seat.

And the other evening gifted me a saffron sunset.

As if someone up there had lit up halogen lamps at a village wedding.

Orange and creamy and hazy.

Quite unexpected at this time of the year.

You should have seen the tree that day!

Framed against that sky.

It was quite an image.

I so wish you had seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment