Thursday, September 10, 2009

Walk Slowly. Smile More. Laugh Often.

Yesterday, I went to a stand up comedy act.

For the first time I understood what getting a stitch at your side means.

Or laughing your guts out.

So, it was this show where there was Papa CJ, Aaraon Keder (hope the spelling is correct) and Sugar Sammy.

From the time my friend Ray told me about it, I kept having second thoughts.

Firstly the show was in Shanmukhanandan Hall.

I don’t have anything against this hall personally ... except perhaps the name which is a tongue twister and a mouthful and needlessly long perhaps.

Wow … I do have a lot against this Hall already! And there I was, thinking I am comfortably numb.

But now that I have admitted I am not, I can already think of more things that go against this hall.

It’s location for one. It’s in Sion.

Not that I have anything against Sion personally.

It’s just that Sion is not in Bandra. That screws things up a bit. Because Bandra is where i stay. Now Sion is not even remotely close to Bandra. (And all those upstarts who are going to pipe about the Dharavi link right about now please save your breath.) Now what's not in Bandra or on the way to it is obviously out of the way. Plus it’s a weekday. And no one even knew exactly where the hall was. Well it’s hot. You don’t get cabs …

And to add insult to injury, I got stood up at the last moment. Which is never a good feeling.

So, all in all, I wasn’t in the greatest of mental health when I reached the place.

The show started 45 minutes late.

And some minor celebrity action happened. (Page two and a half, a friend would say.)A smattering of Bollywood stars too.

Which again cheesed me off no end. For no reason. Not that I have anything personally …  against Bollywood … but …

However the show was as I said … hilarious.

So word of advice my friend. Yes, you who are reading it.

Never ever miss the chance to laugh.

Nothing else in the world is worth it.

Not love (And I am saying this). Not money. Not work (that always waits and manages to sort itself out somehow.)

Next time there is a stand up comedy act in the neighbourhood, make sure you are the first when the ticket counter opens. Buy up a row. Buy one for all your loved ones. Buy some for your enemies and they will become your friends.

What a hilarious evening! How well worth it all!

Laugh my dear. Get others to laugh too.

It’s the best gift you can give.
(Don't let my getting stood up stand in the way of your shoring of good karma.)

Tell you about walking slowly and smiling more some other time.

Although you could maybe take me at face value on those?!

Unless you have something personal against doing these things …

Which as we concluded earlier does tend to throw the spanner in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment